Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Jesus has so much to teach me

Mark 1.29-40 is a favorite scripture passage for me. The scripture says that the whole town came to Jesus after sunset and he spent a long evening healing many people. Then early the next morning while it was still dark out, Jesus went out to a quiet place to pray.

I wonder what Jesus said to his Father that morning. Did he say that he was tired? That it was hard having ALL those people want his attention and healing? Did he just “sit” with his Father in the quietness?

I love that after a very intense time of ministry Jesus knew himself well enough to find some alone time.

Some alone time is “check out” time. To become a couch potato or a mindless sponge, lounge in my pj's all day and do nothing productive. Sometimes I need time like that. But I have found another type of “check out” time that is restorative. It is time alone in the presence of perfect love and peace. I can imagine myself being held and embraced in the arms of my Abba, Father. I can imagine the Father looking tenderly at me, his daughter and enjoying those quiet moments.

No comments: