Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Stories of Transformation

Over the last couple of weeks I have been encouraged by the stories I've been hearing. Stories of how God is changing people's hearts. While each of us are on an individual journey we still need the community. Our community is the place where we have reality checks, where our stories can encourage, challenge, direct and even correct others.

Here's what I've hearing:
ONE: The other week I really didn't want to be here at church with the kids. I had a grumpy attitude. But when I was in the Music & Motion Studio the kids were singing this song (Note it was one I didn't like!) and this little third grader who was next to me began to sing. As I listened to her sing with love and conviction, God melted my heart. I knew I was where I needed to me.

TWO: Lately I've evaluating everything I do and how I spend my time. Does it draw me closer to God? Is it a neutral experience? Does it draw me away from God? I feel like God is asking me to be more intentional about how I live everyday. Did that conversation, did that book, did that gathering, did that movie draw me towards God or did I feel distanced from him?

THREE: The other day I made all sorts of changes on an organizational chart to help this older volunteer feel good about what we were doing. The way I had created the chart made more sense to me, but it wasn't "the way it was done" before. So I decided that instead of arguing with this lady that I would willingly accommodate her "anal retentive neediness" (Lori's words) and give her what she wanted. I didn't give in to her out of anger or frustration, I did what I did to help her.

FOUR: A friend shared that when her new grandbaby was born, the other grandma kinda pushed her way into the hospital room and monopolized the parents and newborn's attention. She said, "I was angry and hurt but for the sake of the relationship with my kids I remained quiet." It was really hard to do that, but it was the right thing to do.

Each of these stories is about transformation. When you give up something you really would rather hang onto - your time, your chart, your desires - you "die" to yourself and become more like Jesus. Transformation costs you something. (It hurts to become real - The Velveteen Rabbit) Transformation happens when we let go of something to receive a "new, better" something.

No comments: