Thursday, May 20, 2010

Mother's Day

Mother’s day was special, full of hand written notes from the kids. In a quiet moment, I asked my daughter if she ever thought about her China momma.
She commented that she didn’t know what her China mom looked like.
Yes, you are right. We don’t know what she looked like, I replied.
She asked, do I have a China daddy? Yes, I replied.
Do I have a China brother? We don’t know if you had a China brother.
Why didn’t my China mom keep me?

With my heart breaking, I replied with the best answer I have. “I don’t know for sure why she didn’t keep you. Perhaps she did have any way to care for you, no food or money. But she got you to a safe place, an orphanage, where the nannies took care of you. . . That’s where I met you.”

“What’s an orphanage?” she asked. It’s a safe place where kids live when their mom or dad can’t take care of them.
“Did you pick me out?” she asked. No, I replied. We met with a lady who learned about our family and she “painted” a picture of what our family was like and the Chinese people thought you would fit best into our family. . . I think you fit perfectly into our family

No comments: