Sunday, October 24, 2010

Being Contemplative

Recently a comment was made that my tendencies to be contemplative was misinterpreted. My longing for time alone, my desires to go on long walks in the woods was perceived as a lack of personal motivation or even drive. Initially that comment hurt, but I realized it was only an observation from a person who doesn’t really know me or understand what a contemplative life is about.

I am probably one of the most “discontent” people around. I always want MORE. More in my relationships, more things fixed in my house, more plants for my garden; more volunteers working and leading in the kids ministry; more education; more opportunities for our kids; more dinners with friends; more time in the woods; more time with my husband; more love, more patience; more wine, more sex, more laughter! I want MORE.

Being contemplative (for me) is about prayerfully entering into silence and solitude – the desert, the woods. In this sacred space, the goal is not to hide from others, devoid of pain, or to hold myself apart from and above the community in which I live. It is to receive the grace to learn to face MYSELF directly so I can learn to live an ordinary life with a sense of awe and wonder; to live generously with my family, friends and community.

Mother Teresa was contemplative SO THAT she could pour herself out to others. I’m certainly no Mother Teresa, but I find comfort knowing that a lot of religious people didn’t get or approve of her.

No comments: