Monday, January 16, 2012

Sacred Time with my Daughter

The guys were at an all day basketball tournament and my 8-year old daughter Allie and I were having lunch at China House. (Allie was 20 months old when we adopted her from China)

In the midst of our conversation Allie said, "You are my real mom, but not my birth mom." I nodded and affirmed her statement, "Yes, you are correct." Then I asked, "Do you ever think about your birth mom?"

Allie replied, "Yes, but she is probably old, like 100 years old. Or maybe she's dead."

I listened then said, "I doubt she's dead. I think she might be young...young like your sister Sarah who is 30 years old."

Allie asked, "Could I meet her? [her birth mom]

I said, "No, because we don't know her name."

Allie said, "Well I could write her a letter and send it to her."

I paused, "Writing a letter is a good idea, but I don't think she would get it...what would you say to her?"

Allie stated, "I am your daughter, Allison Min Joy Tate."

She stops and laughs then tells me her birth mom would not know that name, so Allie replaces it with her Chinese name, Tong Min-Min. This is also a name her birth mom would not recognize, but Allie continues her imaginary letter,

"Even though you did not keep me, I would still love you." Signed Allie

What a statement of faith.
Allie teaches me so much about my own faith. I believe that all kids have a deep sensitivity to God's Spirit, but God's grace has touched this kid's life and she knows it and has a heart of graditude.

No comments: