Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Surprise

Last January after the death of my dad; 2 major surgeries; and a tough year in ministry a friend gave me a devotional book called "Jesus Calling." I was very thankful for my friend's gesture and deeply appreciated her prayers and support; however, to be honest I was suspect of a devotional book. Devotional books are very personal and what one person loves another person may not.

I was surprised that I fell in love with "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young. I immediately connected with her story because it began in the community of L'Abri started by Francis & Edith Schaeffer. Sarah's writings are a blessing and encouragement each day -- to connect to the Father, Son and Spirit; to live in the flow and grace of the Spirit; to trust and wait on God; to rest and not strive for approval and recognition.

Even though I do not read the devotion every day, I can't tell you the numerous times I have sat and wept because the words written were exactly what I needed for that moment. I gave a copy of this book to my wwKids leaders. Often I would text various leaders asking, "Did you read your book?" believing that the words would touch them as well.

Sarah also has a kid's edition of "Jesus Calling" which I love as much as the adult version.

God's gifts and blessings often come in packages I don't readily appreciate. My desire today is to have eyes to see and join in where the Spirit is moving.

No comments: