Thursday, August 7, 2008

God, puppies and St. Igantius

There are about 5 more weeks before I start the final year in my spiritual direction program. I went online and purchased my books. I can’t imagine how all the pieces of life will fall together this fall, but I am confident that they will.

I picked up David L. Fleming, S.J. book, Draw me into Your Friendship: The Spiritual Exercises. It’s St. Ignatius’ spiritual exercises both a literal translation written 500-600 years ago and a contemporary reading. The spiritual exercises are a 4-week long silent retreat. It was Ignatius’ intense approach to helping others know and experience God. The exercises can also be broken down so that people can do them over an extended period of time.


Examen, basically means to examine; to become more reflective and more aware of God’s presence in my life. It’s been a wonderfully simple, yet effective practice/habit/discipline/exercise to integrate in my life.

Mid day, if I remember, or at bedtime I review the activities and conversations of my day asking myself “What drew me towards God?” and “What drew me away from God?”

What drew me towards God? Simply being with my family and enjoying them. Tonight after dinner, while Randy finished up some work, the kids and I made healthier version of rice krispie treats. Jeff got out the ingredients, measured and stirred, while Allie helped. While the “treats” cooled, we played ping pong and watched Disney’s “Camp Rock.” We simply played together. It was fun.

Years ago I would never have thought that playing with the kids, was Godly or spiritual. Isn’t spiritual watching a “Christian” movie? Today I believe that God loves to play and laugh. I believe that He was filled with enjoyment as my kids and I spent time together, loving, teasing and playing. Imagine that -- a god that loves to laugh and play. I want to follow a God like that.

What drew me away God? My beautiful little puppy, has hit the terrible twos! He doesn’t listen to me. He runs away when I call him. Quite honestly I was very frustrated and angry.
Then I recalled my brother’s words about dog training, if your dog doesn’t listen to you, he doesn’t understand what you want. So I calmed down and walked quietly towards the puppy thinking to myself. . . .
He doesn’t understand that I want to keep him safe.
He doesn’t understand that I want to love him
He doesn’t understand that I want to give him a great life with our family
He doesn’t understand that running away from me will NOT get him the things he thinks he wants - freedom, deer droppings, rotting apples, etc.

I wonder if God, My Father ever thinks the same thing about me? He wants to love, protect and care for me, but I’m so busy running around that I don’t hear Him quietly calling my name. Inviting me to come back home, where I’ll find everything and more that I long for and need.

No comments: