Thursday, August 21, 2008

Louella: A story of grace

About 15 years ago, my co-worker/friend, Len Wilson and I interviewed Louella Thompson. She was this beautiful, African American woman who had opened a soup kitchen out of her home. It was named “Feed the Hungry.”

When I asked Louella how this ministry came about, she said one day she heard “God said open your house, feed whoever comes in. Don’t ask questions, just feed them.”

I was younger than, just out of seminary – what I’m saying was I was arrogant and stupid!! – so I asked her, “How did you know it was God who said this to you?”

This gracious, Godly woman looked at me with her beautiful brown eyes. Then she turned to Len and asked, “Len, are you married?” which he replied “yes”. She then asked “when your wife calls on the phone, do you ask ‘who is this?’” “Of course not. I recognize her voice.”
Louella looked back towards me and said, “I know the voice of my Beloved.”

My encounter with Louella changed my life. Her simple but profound words set me on a quest to KNOW and recognize the voice of my Beloved. Thank you, Louella. Your deep love for Jesus has drawn me into her deeper relationship with Him as well. That’s what being in community does.

No comments: