Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I love art, I love creating and making things, so I'm mildly disappointed that my son isn't more interested in art. Surprisingly though he LOVES his art teacher at Paragon. Talks about her, says it's his favorite class, but I never seen anything that really supports his talk.

So I was excited that it was my eight-year-old son, Jeff's turn in the WW art studio this weekend. I had taught the previous weekend in the studio and knew it was an awesome setup. When he came out of the studio he handed me his sculpture and said, "this is stupid," my heart sunk. I glanced at his art piece and had to agree, it was not the most creative thing I've ever seen.

Before I left church Sunday, I grapped a another sculpture base and a few things from the art studio. That evening I got out the paint and all the odds and ends - beads, pipe cleaners, paper, hole punchers, glue - recycling supplies and both kids and I played at the kitchen table. Tentatively Jeff began to paint the base and then we bent the wire. I showed Allie how to put beads on the pipe cleaners and then Jeff tried that as well. Both kids wrote words that described their relationship with God and hung them on their sculpture.

At the end of our play session, both kids felt good about what they had created. Jeff even said he wanted to take his sculpture to school to show his art teacher.

I'm thinking that Jeff is more infatuated (sp?) with his art teacher than he is with the art!

No comments: