Thursday, November 6, 2008

Walking in Grace

One of the most liberating and transformative moments in my spiritual journey came while I was the director of faith-based early childhood education program. One of my employees had falsified some state documents and I needed to address the issue. As I mentally prepared to talk to her, some of my own issues re-surfaced. “How could I confront and hold this Christian employee accountable, when I had done _______?” Even though I had prayed for forgiveness, I still carried the guilt with me.

I “inherited” my assistant when I took this new position. Sharon was about 10 years older than me, a mom of 3 boys and married to a man who was a minister at another church. For over 5 years, we shared a small 10x15 office space and became great friends. I loved and respected Sharon very much.

Before I met with my employee to confront her deception, I sat down with Sharon. I shared my “secret story” with her. Sharon accepted my “secret” with love and tenderness. There was no disappointment or condemnation, only acceptance. From that day on Sharon never mentioned that conversation again. Knowing this “secret” about me, she never treated me differently.

Each day I walked in grace and was transformed.

No comments: