Friday, November 28, 2008

Washed Clean


At Westwinds Church we are about to end our sexuality series; a universal topic that has surfaced a lot of stories of brokenness. Sunday in Fusion, communion was given and then people were invited to the table to have their hands washed.

A person would stand before me and I had the privilege to pour water – cool, clean, cleansing water - that caressed the hands of the old and young. I saw both pleasure and pain in people’s faces. As the water fell from their hands into the basin, I could visualize the shame, embarrassment, pain, guilt, hate, anger, fear accumulating in the basin. Surprisingly the water was actually dirty.

Hands have always intrigued me. So much can be seen in someone’s hands. Hands can protect, love, hurt, heal, create, destroy; hands tell stories about the person’s life. One reason I choose Mother Teresa as my spiritual mentor was because of her hands. They are beautiful, loving hands.

This past Sunday it was an honor it was to serve my friends and follow sojourners; to be a witness and participant in their spiritual journey.

No comments: