Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Learning in community

While meeting with parents for the child dedication, I asked if they could identify a couple/family that they admire. Perhaps it’s their parenting style or their marriage.

I learned hospitality from my L’Abri friends;
I learned some effective parenting ideas from my brother and wife;
I learned grace from Dr. Joy;
I learned about seeing God in the ordinary experiences of life from my friend Randy Shafer.

I’m such a visual learner that I need to see things in action before I get it . . . well in most things any ways. It’s a good thing that I work with such an awesome group of people – Ben, Dave, JVo, Norma, Becky and Jay. I’m always learning from these guys, different things from each of them.

So I when I read “Questions I ask my kids” on Ben’s blog I knew that I would have to “steal” his questions. Heck, I just took this stuff from his blog. That’s because I admire Ben – he is an awesome, intentional dad.

Questions I ask my kids By Ben Redmond (www.variousparables.com)
A few years back, I read a list of questions that Andy Stanley asked his kids when they were little. I loved them and made them my own.So every few days, before bed time, I ask my kids the following questions:
1. Is everything ok in your heart? (I want my kids to learn how to examine and guard their hearts.)
2. Did anyone hurt your feelings today? (This question seems to bring lots of teachable moments.)

3. Are you mad at anyone? (I want them to understand anger and forgiveness)
4. Did anyone break a promise to you? (This is a selfish questions, because I break promises!)
5. Is there anything I can do for you? (This might seem weird - but I am just trying to be intentional about communicating.)
Do you have any habits or rituals with your kids?

Community is about being inspired and prompted to greater goodness by those who surround you. It’s not a competition – although I was a bit envious that I didn’t think of these questions first! Just by knowing this person, I am inspired for further personal transformation.

Thanks Ben and the rest of the WW staff that daily inspire me to become more like Jesus.

No comments: