Sunday, February 8, 2009

Bizarre Story - II

This has been a very odd and trying week. The most surreal events occured on Wednesday as I sat in a public hearing for a convicted murderer. Bill, a 61 year old man, seeking to be paroled after 43 years in prison. This is the first time I've ever physically seen the man. He was brought in with chains and sat with his back to us - friends and foes - as two state officials "interviewed" him.

They grilled the prisoner for 3.5 hours, asking for details and explanations of his choices and actions that occurred in 1965, while he was under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Twelve years ago, someone broke into my apartment and attacked me. I wasn’t drinking or on drugs and I CAN’T recall specific details of that night! How do they expect someone to recall events and details from 43.5 years ago?

Emotion of the Day included:
anger at Bill; at the state officials; awe at how submissive this man was after 43 years of prison; awareness of the sutlbe ways Bill was controlled; deep sadness at the horrible pain this crime has resulted in for the grandma and her family, for Bill, for my parents; surprise and pain for the brokenness and anger the victim's family still live in.

Surprises of the Day included:
There was no mention of how God has changed Bill’s life. There were also very few comments about the drugs and alcohol, Bill used back then. I can only imagine that he was coached to not talk about these things.


Highlights of the day included:
My brother spoke words of healing in that public hearing. I sensed an openness from the state officials. I could breathe easier hearing words acknowledging all of our brokenness.

My Dad. My dad has an 8th grade education and probably has a third grade reading level at best. As a kid my dad had a cleft palette that wasn’t fixed, so he has a speech impediment. My 81 year old dad, walks to the witness stand. Dad states he has known Bill since he was 12 years old when the kid played on his softball team. Dad says that he has stuck by Bill for all these years, because Dad could relate to his story. Dad drank and frequently blacked out not recalling events he had participated in. Dad is my hero. (He visits a HS classmate of mine who is also in prison). Dad is my hero!

Finally Bill. After the attorney general states he would not recommend parole (he doesn’t make the decision, a panel of 10 people will meet to make a decision), Bill thanks both state official for the opportunity to have a public hearing. He once again accepts the responsibility and consequences of his actions of October 1965 and he expresses his deep regret for his actions. But then he says, “even if this public hearing does not turn out like I would hope and I am not released from prison, I will continue to grow, learn and help others wherever I am at.” WOW!

Please pray that 6 of the 10 parole board give him a chance to live outside the prison system.

No comments: