Monday, February 2, 2009

The Spirit can influence and guide us only to the extent we are in touch with our inner self.

I was talking with a friend who desired a deeper relationship with Jesus. As we talked about her prayer life, she mentioned that she “throws up a quick prayer in the car before walking into work.” I sensed some sarcasm in her flippant response so I affirmed that “quick car prayers” worked for God. I wanted to reassure my friend that God doesn’t “cancel out” a prayer due to where it took place. Prayer is so much more than what I used to think it was. I pray in the car every day taking the kids to school and going to work. In fact my prayer seems to permeate the day.

This conversation with my friend prompted me to go back to Richard Hauser’s handout from the first year and to define the “Holy Spirit’s daily action”
in my life. Hauser says that to get a better sense of the presence of the Spirit in your life, it is helpful to go through the regular activities of your day to see which ones are performed with a desire to love and serve God and which are not. You do this for two reasons. First, you want to recognize the Spirit’s presence in your daily life so that you can praise God for the Spirit’s work and second, you want to become aware of those activities where the Spirit is habitually absent in order to turn them over to the Lord and have them transformed.

Hauser suggests that as you move throughout your day you become aware and note the Spirit’s movements. What did you observe, what patterns or themes have surfaced, where and when does the Spirit move? What is the rhythm of your day?

I was surprised to discover that my prayer life had really evolved. It moved from a morning prayer time toward a continuous prayer throughout the day. Maybe this is what Paul meant when he said in 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (King James Version) 16 Rejoice evermore. 17 Pray without ceasing. 18 In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
Your life becomes one continuous act of prayer, like Mother Teresa.

The daily rhythm of my life is described in the following outline.
Pre-alarm (4:15-4:45) -– sometimes cuddling in bed for a few extra minutes, dozing, praying. The Spirit sometimes speaks to me in this semi-awake zone. Typically, I pray for my husband during this time.
Dog time (4:30-4:45) – take the dog outside. I have experienced beautiful, awesome times of wonder outside with the dog. There is a deep silence and peace.
Early morning (5-6:00) – silent time, listening to God – for me this also includes journaling, reading and studying.
Morning car time alone or with kids (7:30-8:15) – thanksgiving game, “what I’m thankful for” or “what I’m looking forward to today” or “what do we need to pray about today”
Throughout the day – intercessory – lifting up people in prayer
Afternoon car time with kids – how was your day? What was the best part of your day? What drew you towards God or what made you think of God today?
Dinner time with kids - “what I’m thankful for,” praying for safe trip home for dad, praying for Mr. Randy's family, Miss Kris and Lois, all friends who are struggling with cancer.
Bedtime (or naptime) Examen – reflection on the day. What drew me to God and what drew me away from God?

This deeper awareness of my daily rhythm helps me identify changes that I may need to make to enable me “to move through my day energetically, peacefully and lovingly in order that I may keep Christ’s command to love and serve with my whole heart, soul, mind, and body.”

Hauser says three areas must be considered. First, what adjustments should I make in my lifestyle in order to respond energetically to the Spirit and serve God with my “whole body?” Basically, how do I take care of my body; eating, resting and exercising? Second, should adjustments be made in order to live with more inner peace and so better serve God with my “whole mind”? How is my mental health? The Spirit can influence and guide us only to the extent we are in touch with our inner self. Finally, I must build time into my daily schedule to be explicitly with the Lord and allow the Spirit’s presence to well up in my consciousness. This requires a regular rhythm of solitude, personal prayer, Mass and reflection on my own actions


Richard Hauser, Moving in the Spirit: Becoming a Contemplative in Action, Paulist, Press, Mahwah, NJ. 1986, page 34.

No comments: