Thursday, March 12, 2009

A Retreat of Silence: What do I want from Jesus?

I am preparing to go on my third Silent Retreat – a 72 hour period of silence. While you can do anything you want on the retreat because it is your retreat, it is recommended that you do not bring electronics, computers, books to read, etc. Simply your Bible and a journal. I think I will take The Message and my NIV Bible, my journal, my Lent reading (maybe) and a book on Mother Teresa. I’ve found that on Sunday, I’ve wanted to read a bit.

On Thursday evening the retreat will begin with a large group. Each of us will be given the opportunity to share with the community, What do I want from Jesus this weekend? That is such a great question. Dave just talked about that in Fusion the other week. That question has made me uncomfortable as well, because it seems like Jesus is being dumb. Asking a blind man, “what do you want me to do for you?” But there is such wisdom in that question. Jesus wants to meet our deepest needs and our deepest needs are not usually the most obvious ones.

What do I want from Jesus this weekend? I think it is something about grief and sorrow. I want to accept this season of my life – the grief and sorrow – as gift. I want to sit with Jesus and be with him. He knew grief and sorrow and has something to share with me.

This retreat center has 100 acres with trails. I think I’m going to do a lot of walking, take some photos and listen to the silence of the woods.

No comments: