Thursday, April 23, 2009

Being Allie's Mom

Seven themes of adoption:
Loss Rejection Guilt/shame Grief Control Identity Intimacy


Research shows that regardless of how old your child was when you adopted, these 7 themes will emerge at some time.

My friend Cindy (Dr. Cindy Koenigsknecht) shared different approaches of parenting adopted kids. The information was so helpful and insightful into my own parenting journey of Allie. Conversations that I need to initiate with Allie so she knows she can talk about her “China Momma.”

I left the meeting with several concrete ways I can be more aware of Allie’s “triggers.” I feel like I can better respond in ways that will touch some of her core needs. That’s pretty impressive, coming from an introverted processer that needs at least 2 hours to 5 days to sort through information!

For more info about parenting an adopted child, check out "Adoption Parenting: Creating a Toolbox, Building Connections." If you are interested in networking with other families who have adopted, let me know.

No comments: