Monday, June 15, 2009

Children's Spirituality Conference

I'm at Children's Spirituality Conference,(www.childspirituality.org) not to be misinterpreted as a Children's Ministry Conference.

What's the difference you might ask? One is about spiritual formation; one is about programs. One is looking at how spiritual formation occurs in kids; one is looking at how to create programs to aid that process.

Both aspects are important but surprisingly the two areas don't seem to cross on the radar of many children's ministers/pastors. Could be that many kids pastors come from an educational background and have less background in theology or spirituality.

For me I come to kids’ spirituality from the development background and not the educational aspect. I am not a trained teacher, meaning I don't have a teaching degree. So I am very blessed to have great people who serve with me who are trained teachers. Together we seem to have created unique experiences that invite our kids into both "heart knowledge" and "head knowledge" of our Creator God, his son Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

Love what I'm doing. Westwinds is a great place to be.

No comments: