Monday, July 20, 2009

An integrated Life

In the last 4 years or so I quit reading a ton of books because I felt like I kept stuffing more info into my brain and I did not need more to think about. My reading was focused on my spiritual formation/direction coursework.

Recently I began to pick up some leadership books like “Choosing to Cheat” by Andy Stanley, “The Fish & the Monkey” by Dave Gibbons and “Unleashing the power of the rubber band” by Nancy Ortberg. I’ve been surprised and pleased to see much of their thoughts and teachings have been reflected in my spiritual formation readings.

As I previously noted, I have known that my leadership style was needing some adjustments. Along with the leadership tune up, my time management skills had also become obsolete. Over the years I have made adjustments from the Franklin Planner, to 2 week plans, to one month calendars and goals.

Over vacation I was reading David Allen’s book “Making it all Work.” (I read other stuff too!) Once again I was kinda surprised but pleased to recognize Allen’s “working in the zone” seemed almost identical to “walking in the Spirit”. I’m definitely going to finish Allen’s book because I need somre fresh practical tools and practices that I can daily implement to make it all work.

Again and again I see how all of life is integrated. All is sacred, all is holy. The Spirit is working in and through my life. I pray that I have eyes to see and ears to hear.

No comments: