Friday, July 31, 2009

Jesus grew

It is so easy for me to forget Jesus was completely human. Because I believe in the mystery of the trinity, because I believe he is the son of God, I just assume things about Jesus, Yeshi, that are not so. Like Jesus did not just miraculously behave perfectly and maturely. (But I also believe that Jesus was without sin.) Jesus learned to perfectly submit to His Father's plans and purposes. Jesus was fully human and therefore experienced the natural human development and growth of a human boy child (and man) such as hormones, getting along with his parents and siblings, figuring out his purpose in life. Just to name a few.

I don't believe that the boy-child Jesus knew he was "special", except perhaps in the eyes of his parents who spoke of hope and a future for their son. I'm thinking that Jesus was a very ordinary kid growing up in a Jewish home in Palestine. He played games, he got bumps and bruises, and he had chores and responsibilities around the home. He went to school and synagogue. He didn't always listen to his parents or get along with his siblings.

This deeper understantind of Jesus as fully human, encourages me to learn and grow. If boy Jesus didn't "just get it" neither will I! It encourages me to actively seek a more intimate relationship with the Father with the help of the Spirit. I too can experience the intimacy that Jesus experienced with the Father. This knowledge gives me peace and hope.

No comments: