Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Sabbath day of rest

A friend recently shared that over the last 6-9 months he had not stayed closely connected with some personal friends - friends that he played and laughed with; friends that asked good questions about his personal life, marriage and ministry. My friend said he was feeling the effects of not having those significant people present in his life and he shared a few ideas of how he would better stay connected.Through these simple observation and self-discovery moments, my friend is better able to "fine tune" his activities so that his soul is healthy.

Today, I'm taking the day off. I too have felt the effects of not caring of my soul. Even though I have officially had days off over the last 6 weeks or so, they have beeen filled with fieldtrips with the kids (great things) and all day visits at the hospital with my parents. These activities are worthwhile and good but take my energy rather than restore it.

So today is all about me and re-creating. I'm cooking, writing, studying, maybe drawing. Taking a nap and maybe hiking out at the reserve. I'm calling to make an appointment with my spiritual director. Then this afternoon I'll be ready to pickup the kids and meet another family to go help out at The Priceless Gift Store.

For me that is what Sabbath rest is about. Making time to restore my soul, stay healthy and connected to the Vine (Jesus Christ). The result is fruit of the Spirit - love, joy, peace, patience, etc. I'm a better follower of Jesus and a better wife, mom, friend, pastor

No comments: