Thursday, January 21, 2010

Living Generously - a parents example


My parents are givers. From my earliest memories my parents gave to others. I remember each of us kids getting an offering envelope with money to give to church. I remember my mom saying that the first check she wrote each week went to the church.

Today at 83 years old my parents still give 10 percent to the church and more to missionaries they support. They will shop at Goodwill and do without (sometimes even their costly medicine – that’s dangerous) so that they can give to others.
The actual dollar amount my parents give off their merger income is pretty insignificant in the big picture of their church. But my parents have always given, and they have given of themselves by serving and helping others. They have opened their home to let people live with them, they visited the sick and shut-ins, they befriended a young boy who committed murder and visited him in jail for 43 years until he was released last May.

My mom and dad both have generous hearts.
You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion. 2 Cor. 9.11a This verse summarizes my parents life.

Though I wrote this entry several weeks ago, I'm posting it today as a tribute to both of parents, but especially my dad, who passed away January 19, and “journeyed further inward into the loving arms and presence of God our Father.”

1 comment:

Jen said...

What a great picture and tribute to your parents, and your Dad especially. I enjoyed getting to know him on those few occasions. Prayers for you guys!