Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Wonder of the Monarch Butterfly

This is the fourth year we have raised monarch butterflies. The first year we got the caterpillars from the Dalhem Center, but since then we have just gone out to our pond and found them on milkweed.

We have raised and successfully released 5 or 6 butterflies, but we have also lost them at all different stages. This year one of the caterpillars went into the “J” position but never formed its cocoon and died; one formed the cocoon but it dried out and died; one emerged from the cocoon but its wing was damaged and died.
This year Allie let the butterfly climb on her. I wanted to take photos, so I asked Allie to carry the newly emerged butterfly to the plant. She hates bugs so I was very surprised she agreed to “help” me this way. I've learned that by asking kids to help me, I can get them to do try something that may be uncomfortable. Allie was surprised at how the butterfly clung to her finger, she said that it even tickled.

Being spiritual is the ability to be constantly amazed. I can’t think of anything more amazing than observing the total transformation of a little worm like-creature into a beautiful, graceful butterfly.

No comments: