Thursday, October 16, 2008

Facing Your Inner Self


Jean Vanier, the Canadian philosopher and Catholic social innovator founded a community centered around people with mental disabilities, L’Arche. One observer said, “Jean Vanier finds gifts where others see tragedy.” (speakingoffaith.publicradio.org, The Wisdom of Tenderness)

When asked why do we do such a bad job of addressing pain and weakness. Why is that so excruciating for us? Vanier replied, “there are many elements. First of all, we don’t know what to do with our own pain, so what to do with the pain of others? We don’t know what to do with our own weakness except hide it or pretend it doesn’t exist. So how can we welcome fully the weakness of another if we haven’t welcomed our own weakness? . . . Martin Luther King says something, which I find quite beautiful and strong. . . we will continue to despise people until we have recognized, loved and accepted what is despicable in ourselves.”

So what do you despise about yourself? What is it that you find so awful that you cannot accept? What would your answer be? Laziness, lack of self discipline, never got a college degree, had an abortion, lied on your taxes to save money, slept with someone before you got married, misused drugs, sex, food or alcohol, or all of the above? Until I am willing to face my own “junk” – my ego, my insecurities, my pride – I will remain a judgmental person. I will not accept the other people’s weaknesses. C.S. Lewis describes a prideful person as always looking down at others, so that they can feel good about themselves.


Father God. . .I pray for courage to face my “junk”,
to examine my fears and insecurities;
to face the things to cause me pain;
to become much more aware of my inner motivations.

Becoming my true-self is HARD work!
Hold me in your love, as I pray for courage to journey forward.

No comments: