Sunday, October 5, 2008

The pond - sacred space

The other day we spent the afternoon at my parents. We had DISH installed so they will be ready when the analog signals are replaced 100 percent with digital. We figured if they had the exact same system as us, then via the phone even Jeff could help walk my elderly parents through the remote control buttons.

My parents live in a small community of about 50 houses. The little community is located between Hudson and Morenci, Michigan. This is where I grew up after leaving Detroit at age 10. I was the “city slicker” living in the country.

About a mile away from our house, down an old road that was only used by a local farmer, there was a small cabin on a pond nestled in a patch of woods. This secret hideaway was actually owned by a couple from our church, so the no trespassing sign I’m sure did not apply to me!

This secluded pond became “my sacred place.” I spent hours at the pond with my dog and journal. I went back there when I was sad, when I was hurt, when I was lonely, when I needed to think. The 20 minute journey back to the pond was therapeutic for my soul. I prayed, journal, cried, laughed. This place is in my soul.

As I grew older and first went away to college, then lived in Detroit, I always made my way back to this special spot. Once while living in Kentucky, I had had a relationship that turned south. It was crazy, but I was hurting and needed to go home. The weather forecast was crappy a big winter storm was moving in, schools were canceling, but I set out on a 6 hour drive home. It took me 9 hours to make it home.

The next day I put on some cross country skis and went back to the pond. The snow absorbed all noise and there was a deep, rich silence that I had never encountered before. The presence of God was so strong I could touch it. I finally breathed deeply.

No comments: