Tuesday, October 28, 2008


One day I visited a very dear woman, named Louella Thompson, the same lady who told me that God spoke to her. I was struggling with some relational things in my life and I shared them with Louella. Secretly I wanted her to agree with my point of view, but instead, she offered me this advice, “Lori say Psalm 23, five times a day – in bed before you get up, at breakfast, at lunch, at dinner and again when you go to bed. It works for me.”

I had a 40 minute drive back to the office and I was kinda ticked. I wanted real solutions to my problem. Instead I got some type of magical formula. How is saying Psalm 23, 5 times a day going to help me? Well God, being God “kicked my butt” and said you asked for her advice and just because it wasn’t what you wanted to hear, you’re going to just ignore it? So just to prove to myself that it was silly advice, I decided to try it.
I had memorized Psalm 23 as kid, but could only remember the open phrase, so I got out my Bible and refreshed my memory. I reluctantly said the psalm in the morning, then at noon, etc. Then I began to recite the psalm when I was feeling stressed, which was happening frequently. I began to notice that over the course of a day, my thoughts were pulled back to Psalm 23 much more frequently than the prescribed 5 times. Several weeks into this experiment I noticed that my heart and attitudes were changing as I focused on God’s truth rather than my own circumstances.

Once again the woman of God, Louella was right. God bless her! Saying Psalm 23 isn’t a magical solution, but the principle of focusing our thoughts towards God is life changing. Find what works for you, and allow yourself to be drawn into God’s arms.

Years later I fell in love with The Message’s translation of Psalm 23.

Psalm 23: A David Psalm
1-3 God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing.
You have bedded me down in lush meadows,
you find me quiet pools to drink from.

True to your word,
you let me catch my breath
and send me in the right direction.

4 Even when the way goes through
Death Valley,
I'm not afraid
when you walk at my side.
Your trusty shepherd's crook
makes me feel secure.

5 You serve me a six-course dinner
right in front of my enemies.
You revive my drooping head;
my cup brims with blessing.

6 Your beauty and love chase after me
every day of my life.
I'm back home in the house of God
for the rest of my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks!

for listening.

for sharing.

for being.