Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Personal art as prayer


Mandala is a Sanskrit word meaning, “to have possession of one’s essence.” It is a sacred circle with a centerpoint, a universal image that has long been a source of the experience of oneness and wisdom. It uses symbolic forms to draw out truth from the unconscious. These symbols help connect our inner life to our outer life. The making of a mandala requires from us an attitude of receptivity and reverence. It is a search for and a recording of our deepest self at one moment in time and serves as a container for our deepest emotions. There is something about creating a circular design, which seems to draw us inward. With its spiritual origins, the mandala appears to be a ready-made prayer form. . . . .(Drawing to God by Jeri Gerding)


Last month during my spiritual direction weekend, I had the opportunity to create a mandala. For an hour I got to “play” with a three cent paper plate and a couple of markers. At the end, we were asked to “hold” our mandala and pray with it over this next month. We were encouraged to hear the message that it shared, reassured that there is no right or wrong answer or explanation for our mandala.



. . . .here are my reflections: I’ve looked at the mandala over the last couple of weeks. I’ve turned it around and wondered at the strong bold line and the twisting green branches. I’ve noticed the repetition of circles or circular edges.



At the beginning of this part of my spiritual journey, I was concerned that I was moving away from God, that this mysterious, foreign way (for me) of approaching God would ultimately “require” me to choose something else over Jesus.



My mandala expresses a journey that started with Jesus, my heart’s desire. The journey has pushed the boundaries of my understanding of God. Some of my understandings have deepen and others are completely NEW. I feel like I’ve met the Holy Spirit for the first time. I've realized that understanding God is less important than loving Him and accepting His love for me.



My mandala represents the cycle of leaving and arriving; dying and growing; going into the desert and returning to community.



My mandala design continues to the back of the circle and ultimately ends back at the center, back at the heart. The image reminds me of an egg waiting to be fertilized.




A new creation, a new life is about to be formed. My journey has resulted in a new creation: my true-self. A true image of Lori Ann Mero Tate, the precious daughter of our Father, Creator God.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

it is encouraging and heartening for me to read and see other people discover the wonder of mandala making. it sounds like this process was powerful for you...your creation is powerful for me to witness...

many blessings,
sueokieffe