Thursday, August 20, 2009

I'm on call for jury duty for the next two weeks. Not the local jury but district court in downtown Detroit. So each day after 6p I have to make a call to see if I have to re-arrange my life and plans for the following day. Talk about having to be flexible. Surprisingly I am pretty relaxed about the whole thing. I have to do it; I can be stressed and ugly about it or I can "hold my plans loosely" and trust.

Holding loosely. . . the rich young man walked away from Jesus deeply sadden, because he was holding on tightly to his possessions which gave an illusion of security, and he couldn't or wouldn't let go. I like to think that Jesus and the guy meet up again sometime and at this encounter the guy at least tries to loosen his grip on his "stuff" so he can follow after Jesus.

What do you hold tightly to? What is your "stuff"? Control at work or in relationships? Your kid's behavior? money, time? I believe that we are all holding onto something that we think will help make us happy. Ben talked about the only thing we can control in a relationship is ourselves! I can't fix my child; I can't make my husband happy; I can't make people see my point of view. Control is an illusion. I can't do anything except change myself and love others.

As I grow in the Spirit, she has replaced my desire to control such things as relationships, mininistry, kids, etc. with the desire to serve and love. While that might not be evident every second of every day, it's a transformation I've experienced.

I am becoming the Lori Ann, my Father created me to be. I am becoming my true self.

No comments: