Thursday, August 27, 2009

Mother Teresa - Smile

Once, some years ago, a group of teachers from the US came through Calcutta. After visiting the Home for the Dying in Kalighat, they came to see me.
Before they left, one of them asked me if I would say something that they could keep as a remembrance of the visit and that would also be useful to them.

"Smile at one another. Smile at your wives." (I have the feeling that we are in such a hurry that we do not even have time to look at one another and smile.)

One of them said, "Mother, it is obvious that you are not married!"
"Yes, I am," I answered. "Sometimes it is very difficult for me to smile at Jesus because he asks too much of me."


NOTE: During my 2 year spiritual direction program, I had to "walk" with a saint. I chose Mother Teresa, or rather she chose me. Her life has deepen my understanding of what it means to love Jesus and follow him.

No comments: