Saturday, October 10, 2009

New Place

Just a short distance from our place there is a 500-acre perserve. The kids and I went out Thursday after school. I'll admit that the idea was not immediately embraced by the kids although they liked that Jake (our dog) could come with us.

As we moved into the forest, Jeff got a bit more excited, recalling other places that he and I had hiked in Ohio and Kentucky. Allie took a bit longer to warm up, but became more engaged as she tried to find me the "most perfect red leaf." Then we found sassafras trees and bushes. This tree has 3 unique leaves on it, so it was fun to see if we could identify the 3 leaves and find more trees.

The 1.4 mile trail took us about 40 minutes to walk and we were the only ones out there. That's important to an introvert like me. You can't be noisey in the woods! It just doesn't work.

Big thanks to my Westwinds' friends who told me about this great place. I am sure that I will make frequent visits with my family or more realistically I'll drag out ny family out there with me! At least the dog likes to go with me.

No comments: