Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Learning to live generously

At Christmas time I began to use the 3 jars setup with the kids. The 3 jars are labeled church, savings, and spending. I told the kids that 10 percent needs to go into the church jar; 10 percent needs to go into the savings jar; and the remaining money they can decide where to put it. It’s been interesting to see the kids add extra money into each of the church and savings jars. I’m not sure that they quite get the concept that they cannot spend the money but it’s all a process.

Today when they received their “blessing/allowance” we shared with the kids that their school, Paragon Academy, is collecting money to support relief work in Haiti. For a $1 the kids can purchase a heart that provides support for Haiti. Unprompted both kids said that they wanted to use their money to purchase a heart.

Later that evening I made a bet with my son about the Pro Bowl score. (I should NEVER bet against Jeff, he’s sharp and I always loss!) Naturally I lost the bet, but then he just informed me that the dollar I now owed him would go towards buying another heart for Haiti.

Not every circumstance has this kind of ending, but when it does my mom’s heart is full!

No comments: