Saturday, June 14, 2008

Engaging God: Do I have the energy?

. . . . everything has the potential of calling forth in us a deeper response to our life in God (Hearts on Fire, page 8)

. . . . . My only desire and my one choice should be this:
I want and I choose what better leads to God’s deepening his life in me.

St. Ignatius: Spiritual Exercise, Principles and Foundations

My challenges – personal and work are potential opportunities to draw me close to God. Sometimes I respond, accept his hand and invitation to explore that potential. Other times, I stand firm or rather stubbornly – feet planted, like my 4-year-old daughter and say “no”. If not verbally at least with my body language. I am a 4 year old child who refuses to listen to her mom.

Despite my 40+ years, I am still so childish. I either don’t care, don’t trust or don’t understand what is being offered to me. The hand of God to grasp, to follow and walk a path of adventure, growth and intimacy.

Why don’t I accept what is being offered to me – the hand of God to grasp, to follow and walk a path of adventure, growth and intimacy?

As I explored this question, the Spirit showed me some things. When I do accept the invitation to explore with God, I may be nervous and uncertain, but I trust and move forward in faith. In these situations my confidence in the Spirit and myself deepens. When I don’t accept the invitation to explore with God, I am also fearful, nervous and uncertain AND I lack the energy to go on an adventure with God. I have no energy to risk and work hard at learning. I’m tired! In both situations I may be fearful and nervous, the difference is my emotional and physical ability to engage in God’s invitation to the journey. I

Is this why Sabbath rest is so important?

In the past I have recognized that rest is important to my overall health. But I never connected un-rest with my inability or unwillingness to say “yes” to Jesus.

My prayer is that I will let nothing: appearances, fears, discomfort, finances, time, feelings of inadequacy, ministry or approval stand in the way of God pulling me to himself for a deeper more intimate relationship.

No comments: