Monday, September 20, 2010

Celebrating Tong Min Min's Bday


We celebrate the birth of our second child, Tong Min Min, aka Allison Min-Joy Tate on September 20.
Records indicate that a "baby girl with black skin was found in a box with a blanket and dry milk" was found on September 29. She was taken to an orphanage in Tongling. She lived there until she was adopted on May 23, 2005. (Pictures: Min Min's playground at the orphanage; Chicks in China at the White Swan hotel, Deb Morse (my sister), me and Allie, Chelsea Mero (my brother's daughter))
Today Allie turns 7 years old and is a first grader. She has the sweetest smile, a giving heart and she is "stinking stubborn" (I think my dad used to describe me that way as well). She loves to laugh and tease people. She adores being tickled. You can tickle her for a hour and she still asks for more. Allie doesn't walk much these days, rather she moves from place to place doing cartwheels. Allie loves to sing and watch Avatar: The Last Airbender. Her favorite line is "and I believe that Ang can save the world!"
I am always humbled when Allie thanks God for her family. It's like she innately knows that having a family is not just a given, but truly a gift. She always lists us, mom, dad, Jeff and Jake and Joey (the dog and cat).
One day after listing us all, she said to me that she has a China momma. I affirmed that she was right. Then she asked, "Do I have a China daddy?" to which I also replied "yes." She was quiet for a moment and then asked, "Do I have a China brother?" I paused for a moment and said, "I don't know, you might." Then silliness set in and questions and list continued, "Do I have a China doggy? a China kitty?"
Allie's generous and thankful heart is gift our family. I can't imagine a day without one of her hugs or smiles.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I love Allie! Happy Birthday!