Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Voice of my Beloved

It's been about 15 years since, my friend and film maker, Len and I interviewed Louella Thompson. She was this beautiful, middle-age African American woman who had opened a soupl kitchen out of her home. It was named, "Feed the Hungry." When I asked Louelle how her ministry came about, she simply said, "One day I heard God say, open your house, feed whoever comes in. Don't ask questions, just feed them."

I was younger then, just out of seminary- what I'm saying is I was arrogant and naive! - so I asked her, "How did you know it was God who said this to you?"


This gracious, Godly woman looked at me with her beautiful brown eyes. Then she turned to my friend and asked, "Len, are you married?" to which he replied "yes". She then asked, "When your wife calls you on the phone, do you ask 'who is this?'" "Of course not," Len replied, "I recognize her voice." Louella looked back towards me and said, "I know the voice of my Beloved."

No comments: