Friday, September 10, 2010

The Voice of my Beloved - II

My encounter with Louella changed my life forever. Her simple but profound words set me on a quest to know and recognize the voice of my Beloved.

Fast forward 12 years. I'm married now, have a 5-year-old son and have been regularly practicing centering prayer and slowing learning to recognize my Beloved's voice. Ironically the earlier I got up in the morning, the earlier my son got out of bed. To be honest I was a bit irritated and frustrated that my son frequently interrupted my "God time."

One summer morning as I sat still, I heard my son's footsteps. At once I felt frustration swelling up within me but almost immediately I heard a voice say, "Invite Jeff to join you." As the footsteps approached my frustration melted away and when Jeff appeared around the corner I invited him to cuddle on my lap. As we sat quietly together a peace washed over me and the Spirit showed me that these quiet moments with my son were holy. God my Father was smiling at this mother and child, madonna iamge. At that moment, my "God time" paradigm was shattered and my understanding of what was holy deepened.

No comments: