Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Mom's Gift

While you were a little baby in your mommy’s tummy she was always with you. When she went outside you were there; when she ate food, you were there. You were always together and the beat of her heart was comforting to you.

You and your mom were so close that her heart beat became your heart beat. Now there are two heart beats. Now whenever you hear your heart beat, you know that you are hearing the beat of my mom’s heart. That’s a gift only your mom can give.

My spiritual director mentor, Sister Joy, shared this story with a young child whose mother had passed away. I thought it was a beautiful way for me to talk with my daughter about her China birth mom. Allie's "gotcha day" is a couple of days away. Gotcha day is when I met and received our daughter into our family.

No comments: