Monday, May 25, 2009

Twittering Ignatius


TIME magazine did an article on twittering - in the church. They took photos at Westwinds a couple of weeks ago. Here's Dave McDonald teaching at the Winds. Look for the June 1 issue of Time.
JVo our other lead pastor at the Winds is a modern day prophet, either that a just a little boy at home who is competitive and wants to be first all of the time! Seriously 15 months ago he was on this new technology, he wanted all 5 of us staff members to ditch email and communicate strictly by twittering. As much as I love and respect JVo I wasn't buying it. My thoughts are who the heck cares what I am doing? Do I twitter that I'm taking a potty break? Sounded stupid to me.
Then I got an iPhone and began to connect with some other people from the church. Then I began to follow some notable people like authors Don Miller and Len Sweet. They have some interesting things to say somedays.
Lately I've been using twitter as kinda an Ignatius exman. (Not that anyone knows that it what I am doing) In the morning I ususally throw out to my twitter community a comment like: Everything that happens today has the potential to draw me into a deeper relationship with God. At the end of the day I often close with a comment like: What today has drawn you closer to God? What was drawn you away from God? Where did you notice the Spirit moving in your life today?
I'm not looking for people to respond back to me, just trying to help others become more reflective and aware of what is happening in themselves and around them. It helps me personally and hopefully it touches someone's life.
If you are into twittering or want follow me if you want on www.twitter.com loritate

No comments: