Saturday, May 23, 2009

Remembering Gotcha' Day













Allie referral Allie & nanny Allie & me
Remembering is an important part of the journey. Remembering key points and transitional moments. Some memories are painful, some are joyful, but all are a part of my story. Remembering how God intervened and acted on my behalf. The Bible is filled with verses that encourage us to don’t forget, remember.

Today is an important day in our family. We remember the day that I met Tong Min-Min, aka Allison Min-Joy.

Prior to gotcha’ day we had a couple of photos of Tong Min-Min. We didn’t know when the photos were taken or how old she was. I remember that they weren’t really beautiful pictures, but precious since they were the only visual image we had of our soon-to-be daughter.

May 24, 2004 the vans from Tongling that were bringing our daughters was scheduled to arrive at the hotel by 9:30 but didn’t get there until almost 11. So for a 1.5 hours 12 families waited around anxious, nervous, excited beyond belief. I remember it being very surreal, like I was watching someone else experience this day.

When I’m anxious I tend to be quiet and process things. I remember thinking, what if I didn’t recognize my daughter? Would she look like the referral photos or would she look different? How would she respond to me? I looked so different from the dark hair, dark eyes, dark skin of the Chinese. How would I know which child was mine? Surely I would know my own daughter?

Around 11 we got word that a Tongling van arrived. A couple of nannies came in with little girls. I remember look at them and then asking Deb (my sister) do you think that is her (Allie) or is she this one? We waited another agonizing half hour for the other van to arrive with the other children. All the while I’m asking Deb and Chelsea (my niece) if they thought this child or that child was Tong Min-Min.

I remember Ike pointing out Tong Min-Min and realizing that she was one of the first girls brought into the room. She was sitting on her nanny’s lap, wearing a red jacket. I remember feeling bad that I did not recognize her.


When it was time to formally meet Allie, I remember feeling pain as we literally pulled her from the arms of her nanny. The zipper on her red jacket was stuck and we struggled to get it off her. The more we worked to remove the jacket, the more Allie cried. I remember sweat dripping down my down. I just wanted to get the stupid jacket off and escape to the privacy of my hotel room. I wanted cut the jacket, but the nanny insisted no, she wanted the red jacket returned so she could use it at the orphanage.

I remember how Allie would hold her hand/arm (see above picture) when we was scared. Every once in a while I catch her doing that similar thing even today.
Gotcha' day as the best of times and the worst of times. Terror and joy together, but something I would never change.

No comments: