Saturday, September 13, 2008

All is Gift

Other morning at 5:30 Allie scared the daylights out of me, by quietly appearing next to my chair. Typically I hear the kids’ footsteps, but not this morning.

She had tears in her eyes and said she had had a bad dream. I drew her onto my lap and wrapped her in my special little blanket. (The blanket was a baby gift for Jeff and I never used it for him; however, it has become my shoulder blanket, like a prayer shawl I use in the mornings. I PROMISE, you will NEVER see me at Panera with my prayer blanket!) I asked about her bad dream. She shared little except she was lost, there were monsters and someone trying to kill her. As we snuggled together in my favorite chair and I encouraged and coaxed her to let me take her upstairs so she could cuddle in bed with daddy. Nope, she wanted to stay with me.


Several years ago, I would have resented my quiet, prayer time being interrupted by my kids. (I was dumb then!) Now I have come to see my Allie interruption was a sacred moment, a blessing from my Father to have such a special, intimate time with my daughter. I have learned to welcome these times and not resent them. I have learned to recognize God’s presence through life’s ordinary moment.


“All is gift” – St. Francis.

No comments: