Monday, September 29, 2008

Five years ago today


Five years ago today, "a black-skinned baby girl was found in box, with a blanket and a cartoon of dry milk." She was found outside a warehouse, in the city of Tongling, in the providence of Anhui, China. The people at the local orphanage ran an advertisement in the paper, announcing this child was found, but no one stepped forward to claim her. Not at all a surprise, since it is illegal to abandon children.

The caring women at the Tongling Welfare Institute gave this child her identify. They gave her the birthday of September 20 - perhaps they thought the little baby was 9 days old or perhaps 9/20 was a lucky day. They gave her the last name Tong, for the city and orphanage she came from, and they named her Min-Min, which meant "agile."

September seems to be a reflective time for me. Lots of natural changes as we move into fall, but mostly because I think so much about Allie’s China mom and family.

I find the story of baby Moses found in the basket, watched from a distance by his older sister so familiar and real. I wonder if this is not Allie’s story. Was there an older sibling, an aunt or perhaps her mom or dad that hid at a distance, watching over the cardboard box to ensure nothing happened to this child? What time was she left, what time did someone happen to find the box? What must it be like to feel like you have no options but to abandon your daughter?

I am thankful for this China woman who had the courage to give life to our daughter. I hope that somehow through God's grace, Allie's "China Momma" knows that her precious daughter is safe and loved.
I can’t imagine my life without Allie. She is so incredible and becoming quite a fisherman.

1 comment:

Kay Bratt said...

Beautiful story--very moving and I love the reference back to Moses. I never thought of that before!

Kay