Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Eat, Pray & Love

Several months ago a couple of friends asked me to read Elizabeth Gilbert's book, "Eat, Pray & Love." They wondered what I thought of it.

As soon as I picked up the book, I began to see it everywhere. The lady at the YMCA waiting to pick up her son was reading it. The person at the coffee shop was reading it.

The "eat" portion was OK, but quite honestly I have food issues. I couldn't get over the fact that Liz was gaining so much weight (that she really needed). The "love" portion was good as well, but it was "pray" that resonated with me most deeply.

Liz's description of trying to sit silently and mediate totally connects with me. Her inner conversation is hilarious. How one thought leads to another and soon she is traveling around the world in her mind. She is distracted by anything that will prevent her from looking inward and upward. It is amazing what our minds will do to keep us from pursuing God.

Liz's comical challenge of sitting quietly eases my own struggle of being quiet. I'm not alone. I imagine most everyone who begins down the road of contemplative prayer, has similar stories to tell.

The desire for contemplative prayer has been growing inside me since I was a young girl. As a quiet, introverted kid I spent many afternoons back in the woods with my dog. I would take my journal and drawing pad, write poems, journal and talk to God. There was a special place about a mile from home. It was a small pond with a tiny cabin. Few people knew about this secret place.

My ability to be alone comfortably has always been a sign of personal health for me. Seriously, it’s like a test. If I avoid being alone that is usually a sign that something is off kilter or I’m avoiding something. I do have other means of avoidance – reading too much, eating, working non-spot: all of these are “red flags” indicating that I’m not at peace in my spirit.

Lately being still has been a challenge for me, yet I accept that it is just a part of my personal journey and not to fight it or beat myself up because I’m not as successful as I wish I were. I don’t know if what I do is “right or wrong” but I know that over the last several years, my life and my relationship with God has totally changed. Because of that, I’ll get up in the morning and try to sit quietly with my Father and enjoy His presence.

No comments: