Sunday, September 28, 2008

I got the kids their morning cereal and was ready to pour some milk into my bowl, but I couldn’t find the milk? Where’s the milk? I knew that I still had some in the container otherwise I would have rinsed it out and put it in the recycle bin. I looked in the on the counters, in the frig, on the kitchen table, asked the kids if they had taken it.

Then I got a little worried. I knew the milk wasn’t gone, but where was it? Was I losing my mind? I found my milk carton in the cupboard next to the coffee. . . . .I know that I’m getting older (mature) but I’ve NEVER done anything like that before.

I don’t feel consciously stressed.

I try to eat healthy and exercise at least 3x a week. I have good sleep habits – kinda – I usually sleep from 10:30p -4:30a. I don’t feel stressed out or overwhelmed at work. I’m in a good place with lots of opportunity for personal and ministry growth. If my stress is not at work, is it at home?

Well. . . . let’s see. In the last 3 years, we have adopted a little girl from China. We’ve lived in 4 different houses in less than 24 months. We lost our Ohio house to foreclosure. My daughter has been in 3 different early childhood education centers; my son has been in 2 different schools systems. I took a pay cut and started a new job in a church; I’ve been taking classes for the last 3 years; my husband commutes to Toledo 3 days a week and is gone for 14 hours a day; my elderly parents are getting more elderly and they are my nearest family support. I think I’m pre-menopausal and my daughter hasn’t even started elementary school yet. . . . . . . soooooo if all I do is misplace a carton of milk, I say I’m doing good!

Ohha, I was just kidding! That’s not my life at all!

Seriously, life is challenging. You probably don’t have the exact same life circumstances as me, but I’m sure you have some tough challenges of your own.

Amazingly I am learning to be more gentle with other people, perhaps they found an old stinky milk carton in their cupboard this morning! Most likely, there are things in their life that struggle with. Amazingly, I am learning to be “content” and even kind of comfortable in the somewhat chaotic thing I call “my life.” Content in that every little thing does not pull me off center. . . . I do believe that “everything has the potential to draw me closer to God.” So to the best of my ability at any given moment, I try to embrace “my life” and let God do his work of transforming my heart, mind and soul.

All is gift. . . even a misplaced carton of milk.

Thank God I found it before it went bad and stunk up the whole house!

No comments: