Monday, September 8, 2008

Road trip w/Jen

Friday I spent a great day in Detroit with Jen.

We checked out Gleaner’s Food Bank in Detroit off of Gratiot. It turned out our “tour guide” was a young woman who graduated from SAU with Jen and had been to Westwinds several times. In January we are inviting our WW parents and kids on this mission outreach, to learn about hunger and how they can make a difference. Gleaner’s is a great organization with some cool programs oriented to kids. Can’t wait to take our kids there!

I took Jen by the Heidelberg Project, (
www.roadsideamerica.com tip 5329) just blocks away from the food bank. The art is forever evolving. So cool, so moving. There were a number of people shooting photos and filming. They now have a “booth” to register your visit.

For the first time since I moved from the Detroit area, I went back to Pizza Papoulis in Greek town and got their famous spinach pizza. I love that pizza. That grossed out Jen, but I ate the entire personal pan pizza. They have the best pizza sauce.

My final destination on this road trip was to try and visit the Missionaries of Charity. The religious order founded by Mother Teresa. I knew there had been a house established in Detroit, and found it on the southern part of the city around Fort St. We were fortunate that the nuns were at the house. (Sept. 5, marked the 11th anniversay of MT's leaving to be with her Jesus.)

None of the other sisters I know – Sisters Nancy, Joanne, Joy or Virginia wear traditional religious clothing so I was surprised to see their Indian saris. Four sisters live and serve in the south Detroit community. Sister Davis is from India, she lived at the same mother house as Mother Teresa. Wisdom from Sister Davis: “Mother always says, ‘that whoever is standing there in front of you deserves your full attention and respect. It doesn’t matter if they are the President or a beggar. Whatever we do to the least of these, we do to Jesus.”

What a neat opportunity to sit with Sister Davis and learn from her. She gave us a copy of a novena (9 days of consecutive prayer) to Blessed Teresa of Calutta, titled "Jesus is my All in All."


No comments: