Monday, September 14, 2009

He's Nice

Bill's phone personality lines up with who he is in real life, except bigger! Bill stands about 6'2, he's a big guy. I wasn't totally surprised at how well things went on Saturday. If Bill was a friend of my parents, I knew he would be an OK guy.

My family joked and kidded and harrassed each other like normal and Bill joined right in a bit. For 30 years, Bill promised my dad a steak dinner so that's what we had. He didn't know what kind of ice cream to get so he got 6 kinds to make sure Mom had her favorite. He helped the kids when the frisbee got stuck in the 10 ft bushes. When I told him that he could "yell" at our kids if they were messing around (wrestling on the furniture or something), he replied, "No, I don't yell at kids. I had plenty of that growing up and I won't do that." I sensed an inner peace within Bill.

When we had a few moments alone Bill expressed his gratitude for what I said at the public probation hearing. The attorney general made the comment that they were concerned that Bill would be a threat to the vulnerable people of society - the young & old. When there was an opportunity to speak at the hearing, I shared that some of the dearest people in my life are represented in the most vulnerable groups of our society - the very young and the very old. I said that I trust that my children and my elderly parent would be completely safe with Bill.

It was a good day. A day of celebration and dreams fulfilled. It is another chapter in our family's story. When it was time to leave we were all talking about plans for Thanksgiving and Christmas, where was it going to be, who could come, etc. We got into the car and Jeff said, "That was fun. Mr. Bill is really nice."

No comments: