Saturday, September 12, 2009

These are our stories

Today we are celebrating Mom's 83 birthday. I turned down a chance to see U2 to keep this commitment. Honestly if it had been just us kids getting together for Mom's birthday, I probably would have gone to U2. But this year Mom's birthday celebration is being hosted by my "big brother" Bill, whom I have never met.

Bill was the kid my parents befriended 45-50 years ago. He played softball on my dad's team. Some 40 years ago, Bill murdered an elderly lady and has spent the last 44 years in prison.

This is our family's story. The story of Bill. The story of parents who have journeyed with him, visiting him in prison and sending notes of encouragement, etc. As a kid we would get a letter from Bill and I remember asking Mom who was this guy and the story of Bill was retold. In more recent years, Bill would call on holidays and Mom and Dad's birthdays so we have had a chance to talk to him.

Over the years Bill began to refer to my parents as Mom and Dad. And I began to refer to Bill as the big brother I've never met.

This story is now being told and held by my kids, ages 5 & 9. When they receive a birthday card in the mail and ask "now who is this guy? Bill?" I tell the story of Bill, but extend it to include the story of their grandparents, heros who have faithfully cared and loved the prisoner.

Driving home from school one day the radio was telling about the big NFL player who hit a pedestrian and killed him. I made some comment about how stupid the guy (football player) was and he should go to prison. My nine year old, Jeff pops in and said we have forgiven Bill and he killed someone, so maybe we need to forgive this football guy!

I was surprised by Jeff's comment. He had made a connection between the two stories and knew there was grace to be given. I was humbled by Jeff's comment and again amazed at how the Spirit uses my kids to speak into my life.

These are our stories. These stories should not be lost. Remember do not forget. Remember when God provided, remember when He rescued you, remember when you received grace and mercy. Remember

No comments: